What is a Franking Machine?
A Franking Machine is a useful piece of equipment for any business that sends out mail. They work by leaving an official mark on a letter or parcel to show that postage has been paid. The ‘frank’ left by the machine functions in the same way as a postage stamp but at a discounted price. Making them a cost-effective and efficient way of handling outbound business post.
What are the benefits of a Franking Machine?
- Online postage re-fills
- Online accounting and reporting
- Faster delivery
- Enhances your image
- Free advertising
- Add company logo
You can also check out our Franking Machine Postage Savings Calculator to see how much you could save using a franking machine
What is the cost of a 1st and 2nd class letter sent using a Mailmark franking machine?
- 1st Class: 78p
- 2nd Class: 51p
Is franking cheaper than stamps?
YES – franking is up to 33% cheaper than the cost of stamps. Calculate your savings using our Online Postage Savings Calculator.
Does franked mail get priority?
Franked mail is handled less and goes through the Post Office system faster than stamped items, so is delivered faster to recipients.
What does it mean to be Royal Mail approved?
We have undergone a very detailed application process, to prove ourselves as trusted sellers, maintainers, repairers and inspectors of franking machines. We have been an approved supplier for over 20 years!
Can you install my franking machine?
YES – will arrange delivery of your franking machine at a convenient time for you and the equipment will be installed by our trained installation team. This process will ensure that all equipment is operational on the day of delivery. Our trained installation team will ensure the customer is happy and using the franking system to its full potential and using correct postal savings.
How do you use a franking machine?
Can I send franked mail abroad?
YES – you can send franked mail abroad and even better it will cost you much less than if you were to use a stamp!
What size letters can I use in a franking machine?
- The maximum size for a large letter is: 35.3cm L x 25cm W
- If your letter is particularly thick we recommend, franking onto a label first and then applying the label to your envelope
- For details on sizes and weights of packages visit the Royal Mail website: royal mail size and weight guide UK letters and parcels
What happens if I’ve franked the wrong date?
- Put a line through the incorrect date in black ink
- Select surcharge with a value of £0.00 (zero test print)
- Check date is correct on the machine (if franking after 5pm date will automatically change to the next day)
- Re-frank the envelope with the correct date either on the bottom left-hand corner or shorter edge of the envelope
- If using a label, place it on the envelope to the left of the original frank (do not cover the original barcode)
What happens if I miss the last post?
- If franking after 5 pm the franking machine will have automatically changed to the next day’s date, so re-frank following the steps above for What happens if I’ve franked the wrong date?
- If franking before 5 pm manually advance the date in your machine then re-frank.
What happens if I’ve underpaid for franking?
- Boldly cross through the 2D Mailmark barcode (careful not to cross through the price you paid) and write your initials (the first letter of your first and last names).
- Select surcharge and enter the remaining amount of postage to be paid.
- Frank the envelope again to the bottom left-hand corner, on the shorted edge of the envelope or on a label with the extra amount, placing it on the envelope to the left of the original Mailmark franking mark.
What happens if I’ve overpaid for franking?
- Don’t post the item(s).
- Remove the contents and start again with a new envelope.
- Send any used franked envelopes (the whole envelope) to: Royal Mail Franking, Stone Hill Road, Farnworth, Bolton, BL4 9XX
What happens if I put franking in a post box?
- All franked mail must either be collected by Royal Mail, put into a franked mail post box, taken to your nearest post office or alternatively, you can place your mail in a posting meter envelope, this allows up to 25 letters to be placed in the envelop and put in a normal post box.
- If it’s not possible to do any of the above, you must ensure all of your franked mail is grouped together using an elastic band so it can be sorted easily.
What happens if I put franking in a post box?
You can buy a replacement franking machine ink through our Franking Machine consumable shop.
What is a Mailmark Franking Machine?
Mailmark is an upgraded version of the franking mark. A mail mark utilises a 2D barcode that communicates readable information on the user and mailpiece. This barcode enables franking customers and the Royal Mail to optimise how mail is processed.
What is a SendPro Kit in Mailing?
SendPro Kit utilises an all-in-one technology for office mailing. Using a SendPro Franking Machine, you will be able to choose the right class or service for the best price possible to suit your needs.
Where can I purchase ink for my Franking Machine?
Franking machine ink can be purchased online at several retailers. It is always best to check the Franking Machine model you have to make sure that the ink ordered will be compatible with your machine.
Explore our range of franking machine ink here.
If you are after some of the most popular ink, check out our Pitney Bowes DM50/55/60 ink.
What is the best franking machine for a small business?
The best franking machine for a small business is our AS145 due to its versatility and ease of use (while saving costs). Whilst this works well for most small offices, some may require something slightly different. Explore our low volume franking machines which are perfect for any small business.
Alternatively, get in touch today to discover how we can help with your Franking requirements.
Still need help with your Franking Machine, check out how to fix common franking mistakes here.